Books and Other Stuff

mostly about making books - blank and otherwise - reading books and keeping a reading diary

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Weeds Book


This is a book I made for an exhibition a couple years ago. It's a book-in-a-box, both covered with handmade paper. The lighter paper is made with spartina, an estuary grass, and the darker one is made from hemp and cedar bark. You can read more about this on the colophon page.

I think dandelions were my inspiration for this - they're my favorite flower.


The box is closed with a kohaze Japanese bone clasp.




Dedicated to Grandmas Crosby in Toronto. Following are some of the pages - sketches are pen and ink and watercolor on Arches Textwove.







8 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda L. Cooper said...

This is a very beautiful journal. I love the idea of paying respect to different weeds. I think that they get a bad rap sometimes. Nice work!

9:37 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Very impressive work - not just this post but everthing I saw while scrolling about.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

What a beautiful book! I'd love to do something similar, and just keep them somewhere and pull them out just to look at them every once in a while. It gives off the feeling of being nostalgic and such

11:48 AM  
Blogger Janice said...

Owen & Alex - thanks for visiting
Rhonda - I left a message on your blog (your kabob book is gorgeous)

Alex - that's just exactly what I do - pull it out every once in awhile and look at it - and feel it because the texture is great - so let us know when you do something similar and show it to us please

12:48 PM  
Blogger Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Wow, lovely stuff!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous josephineedge said...

Fabulous Janice! You are a lady after my own heart. I adore making books too. I will put some up on my blog one of these days!

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog and loved going around and viewing your wonderful work. This is such a creative idea to make a book on weeds.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Jane LaFazio said...

wow! just lovely!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home